Preparation time:25 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 45 mins
• 4 tbsp butter
• 4 large white or yellow onions, sliced into strips
• 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
• ½ tsp salt
• ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
• 2 cups of beef stock
• 1 bay leaf
• 4 slices of baguette
• 1 cup mixed grated cheese
How to prepare
Step 1: Prepare the French Onion Soup
• Add butter into the pan. Melt it over low heat. Add in the onions and bay leave.
• Stir fry for about 10 minutes until the onion is golden brown.
• Add in flour and stir fry
• Add in the beef stock, stir to mix evenly. Use low medium heat to cook the soup for another 10 - 15 minutes or till the broth thickens slightly.
• Add in salt and black pepper.
• Turn off the fire and add 1 bottle of BRAND'S® Essence of Chicken (original) and mix the soup.
Step 2: Toasting the baguette
• Slice the baguette into 4 slices and lay on the baking tray.
• Spread the grated cheese over the baguette. Transfer into the oven, top layer. Using top heat, grill the cheese at 180oC for 3 mins or till the cheese fully melted and brown spots formed.
Step 3: Plating
• Scoop the soup into a bowl and serve with the cheesy baguette.